This week’s edition of my local business weekly quoted a ADT Small Business Getaway Survey. The survey about small business owners’ attitudes toward taking vacation found that:
- 55% Never travel without their cellphone
- 45% Find it hard to “check out” while away
- 25% Feel nervous about the business while away
- 21% Feel guilty about leaving their business unsupervised
Pretty chilling, to say the least. Actually, I found these survey results to be quite distressing. Why? For several reasons, including:
- Most of the business owners who responded are not getting the full benefits of business ownership.
- The results reflect things that are almost completely avoidable by successful business owners.
- The survey indicates that these business owners are not planning their businesses.
At ActionCOACH we define a successful business as A Commercial Profitable Enterprise That Works Without The Owner. We coach our clients to invest a significant amount of their time toward working on their business, rather than working in their business. This includes planning the growth of their business. Without a business growth plan, a road map for the business, businesses grow organically and quite often go too far down a road that is unproductive, hitting the “Oh S**t” moment. That is one of the prime reasons that the failure rate for new businesses is as high as it is.
In order to increase your odds of success, your growth plan must include:
- An organizational chart, now (even if your name is in every box), 1 year and 5 years in the future.
- The complete definition of your Products and/or Services. (see my post of 8/15/2014 http://actioncoachmichaelbreitman.com/?p=182)
- Your Mission/Vision/Culture statements
- And many of the elements of a classic business plan, such as marketing plans, budgets, etc.
Granted, all of these items are dynamic. However, without starting points your ability to build your business, to have the right team, to create economic growth for yourself and community will be limited.
Don’t be one who is afraid to take a vacation. Start working on your business NOW, before it is too late. If you would like assistance with working on your business or you wish to accelerate your progress toward your business goals, contact me or the ActionCOACH business coach in your area.